Ever since a child, we tend to develop a habit, both - food and lifestyle. A typical day starts with having a piping hot cup of tea with some breakfast, followed by rushing to our work.
According to WHO, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) take the lives of 17.9 million people every year, 31% of all global deaths. Tobacco use, unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, and alcohol intake are some of the primary culprits of these diseases.
What's next after you discover your heart complication? Therefore, on this World Heart Day, we're here with some things you can adopt and take care of your heart the right way.
Here's what you can follow:
1. Say yes to more of fibre: You have a variety to pick and choose. Include whole wheat grains or cereals, peas, pulses, fruits such as oranges, pears, melons, and vegetables such as carrots and broccoli.
2. Salads and fruits should be consumed daily: They're a feast in all means, trust us. It is no secret that veggies and fruits are a great source of nutrients. Ensure to have fruits and veggies of multiple colours, and while you're at it, don't forget to consume seasonal fruits and vegetables as well.
3. Restrict the intake of salt: It is essential to keep a tab on your intake of salt. Experts recommend not to exceed your salt intake and stick to what your doctor or nutritional experts have suggested.
4. Choose your cooking oil wisely: Opt for cooking oil that contains a high amount of essential fatty acids - MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) & PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids). However, instead of using one type of cooking oil, use different oils every month for added benefits.
5. Nuts are the heart's best friend: Nuts are the best source of omega-3 fatty acids, which is an essential fatty acid that plays a key role in maintaining your heart health.
Understand and initiate - it's about time. Ask yourself, 'what is it that you might be unintentionally doing wrong and improve?'
This World Heart Day, vouch for yourself and swap to healthier alternatives, be wise about the food you consume, indulge in physical activities, spend time with your loved ones, have a hearty laugh!